Let's talk about the challenges of health disparities…
I’ve recently discussed in the previous episodes how technology and social media are of great help for the practice of medicine. There’s no denying that I’m all for the power of these two as these help me reach more people and allow more people to have access to important healthcare information.
There were significant amounts of people who look like me who were not able to get the information they need in relation to their health, and there’s no way I’m ignoring that reality anymore. If we don’t talk about access to healthcare and the challenges our patients face in relation to that, then we’re only doing half the job, and that’s not in any way playing a significant role towards betterment.
As a physician, it’s hard to sleep at night knowing that these deserving yet minority community people get to be severely behind the eight ball in healthcare just because of color.
So today, we’ll address these issues and face the reality that as physicians, we still need to go above and beyond.
Why you need to check this episode:
- Understand what these health disparities are and how these affect minority communities;
- Discover the social determinants of health and why that has played such a significant factor in minority communities being severely behind the eight ball in their healthcare;
- Learn about the current situation of access to healthcare and why it’s something that should be talked about; and
- Recognize the importance of being culturally competent, especially on how it affects the practice of medicine
“Help us help you; that’s what I always say. And for healthcare providers, understand that we still need to go above and beyond, because we know our patients are dealing with things that we can’t even ignore anymore.”– Dr. Berry Pierre
“If you do not talk about access in regards to the challenges of health and being healthy, then again, you’re only doing half the job.” – Dr. Berry Pierre
Sign up at www.listentodrberry.com to join the mailing list.
Remember to subscribe to the podcast and share the episode with a friend or family member.
Listen on Apple Podcast, Google Play, Stitcher, Soundcloud, iHeartRadio, and Spotify
- Lunch and Learn Community Online Store (code Empower10)
- Pierre Medical Consulting (If you are looking to expand your social reach and make your process automated then Pierre Medical Consulting is for you)
- Dr. Pierre's Resources – These are some of the tools I use to become successful using social media
- My Amazon Store – Check out all of the book recommendations you heard in the episode
- Lunch and Learn Patreon Family
- CDC's Office of Minority Health and Health Equity
- NCBI's Social Determinants of Health in the United States
- KFF's Health Insurance Coverage in the United States
- Join the lunch and learn community – https://www.drberrypierre.com/joinlunchlearnpod
- Follow the podcast on Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/lunchlearnpod
- Follow the podcast on Twitter – http://www.twitter.com/lunchlearnpod – use the hashtag #LunchLearnPod if you have any questions, comments, or requests for the podcast
- For More Episodes of the Lunch and Learn with Dr. Berry Podcasts https://www.drberrypierre.com/lunchlearnpodcast/
If you are looking to help the show out
- Leave a Five Star Review on Apple Podcast because your ratings and reviews are what are going to make this show so much better
- Share a screenshot of the podcast episode on all of your favorite social media outlets & tag me or add the hashtag. #lunchlearnpod