So, let’s discuss whether healthcare leaders have a responsibility to speak out against injustices and wrongdoings outside the medical sphere or not…
Recently, I came across this opinion article published by JAMA, one of the most established medical journals out there, with the title “Health Professionals and War in the Middle East”. And if you know me, you know that these things interest me.
While there were parts in the article that I really agreed with what the author was saying, there were also parts that I found quite disingenuous. Ultimately, reading that article led me to the question: Do healthcare leaders have a responsibility to speak out on issues that are not exactly within our sphere?
Today, we will answer that question in this episode, so join me as I walk you through the contents of the article while sharing my insights on the topic and addressing the opinions of the author.
Why you need to check this episode:
- Learn why we should always look at the big picture of issues instead of just focusing on some parts of it;
- Find out why we don’t need to pick a side on the ongoing war in the Middle East; and
- Learn why as healthcare providers, we should never fear being told to “stay on our lane”
“When you are a leader, you have a responsibility to speak up on issues that are in front of you… Because you have that responsibility, when you see right vs. wrong, you have to be able to speak on it either way.”– Dr. Berry Pierre
“As healthcare providers, regardless of what we want to think, we have to be the ones that will be able to look at both sides.” – Dr. Berry Pierre
“We are going to denounce genocide. We are going to denounce dehumanization. We don’t care who’s doing it.” – Dr. Berry Pierre
“As healthcare providers, our job is to take care of the people in front of us. No one group is better than the other, so no one issue should be tolerated more.” – Dr. Berry Pierre
Sign up at www.listentodrberry.com to join the mailing list.
Remember to subscribe to the podcast and share the episode with a friend or family member.
Listen on Apple Podcast, Google Play, Stitcher, Soundcloud, iHeartRadio, and Spotify
- Lunch and Learn Patreon Family
- Lunch and Learn Community Online Store (code Empower10)
- Pierre Medical Consulting (If you are looking to expand your social reach and make your process automated then Pierre Medical Consulting is for you)
- Dr. Pierre’s Resources – These are some of the tools I use to become successful using social media
- My Amazon Store – Check out all of the book recommendations you heard in the episode
- Join the lunch and learn community – https://www.drberrypierre.com/joinlunchlearnpod
- Follow the podcast on Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/lunchlearnpod
- Follow the podcast on Twitter – http://www.twitter.com/lunchlearnpod – Use the hashtag #LunchLearnPod if you have any questions, comments, or requests for the podcast
- For More Episodes of the Lunch and Learn with Dr. Berry Podcasts https://www.drberrypierre.com/lunchlearnpodcast/
If you are looking to help the show out
- Leave a Five Star Review on Apple Podcast because your ratings and reviews are what are going to make this show so much better
- Share a screenshot of the podcast episode on all of your favorite social media outlets & tag me or add the hashtag. #lunchlearnpod