So let's talk about Jennifer Aniston and Jamie Foxx…
Why is it important to be a person of cultural competence?
In case you didn’t hear about it, Jamie Foxx and Jennifer Aniston recently got themselves caught up in issues concerning matters of antisemitism. This is for the ‘fake friends’ post of Foxx, which received quite a huge amount of backlash.
Calling it antisemitic, people threw accusations for they claim Foxx pertained to people of the Jewish background. This very circumstance is the reason why we’re going to discuss cultural competence and its significance.
Both as a physician and as an individual, I believe that being culturally competent is of utmost importance for not only do we become more open and understanding; but it also prevents having a clash.
Tune in as we talk about this on this week’s podcast.
Why you need to check this episode:
- Understand what cultural competency means, and how people have different levels of knowledge about it, even within the same communities;
- Recognize the importance of being a culturally competent individual; and
- Discover words and phrases that people commonly use today that have significant racial undertones
“As a physician, one of the things that we’re taught all the time is making sure you recognize what is your patients’ beliefs, what is your patients’ values, because you can’t have a great doctor-patient relationship if you don’t acknowledge that [and] recognize the importance of it.”– Dr. Berry Pierre
“I don’t see how you could be a great physician and not be culturally competent.” – Dr. Berry Pierre
“That clash of the doctor-patient relationship is there, and usually, it’s because the cultural values aren’t being addressed, met, and more importantly—respected.” – Dr. Berry Pierre
“If both people were just a little bit more culturally competent, they would’ve recognized.” – Dr. Berry Pierre
Sign up at www.listentodrberry.com to join the mailing list.
Remember to subscribe to the podcast and share the episode with a friend or family member.
Listen on Apple Podcast, Google Play, Stitcher, Soundcloud, iHeartRadio, and Spotify
- Lunch and Learn Patreon Family
- Lunch and Learn Community Online Store (code Empower10)
- Pierre Medical Consulting (If you are looking to expand your social reach and make your process automated then Pierre Medical Consulting is for you)
- Dr. Pierre's Resources – These are some of the tools I use to become successful using social media
- My Amazon Store – Check out all of the book recommendations you heard in the episode
- Join the lunch and learn community – https://www.drberrypierre.com/joinlunchlearnpod
- Follow the podcast on Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/lunchlearnpod
- Follow the podcast on Twitter – http://www.twitter.com/lunchlearnpod – use the hashtag #LunchLearnPod if you have any questions, comments, or requests for the podcast
- For More Episodes of the Lunch and Learn with Dr. Berry Podcasts https://www.drberrypierre.com/lunchlearnpodcast/
If you are looking to help the show out
- Leave a Five Star Review on Apple Podcast because your ratings and reviews are what are going to make this show so much better
- Share a screenshot of the podcast episode on all of your favorite social media outlets & tag me or add the hashtag. #lunchlearnpod