Let's talk about the story of the black healthcare professional…
What does race have to do with healthcare?
As much as we’ve hoped that in 2022, people won’t be this naïve to not know, still, some people are, so today I share with you the story of the black healthcare professional.
For years, we have been stereotyped, that the chances of seeing someone who looks like me as your physician is going to be very low; that we are not the standard, and that speaking for our community is already a racist act – all because they don’t understand, because they’re the standard.
So in this episode, we’ll dive into the answer on why race is everything, and why it’s no doubt life-changing to see someone who looks like you, who you know will listen and understand you, as we proudly live life as blacks.
Why you need to check out this episode:
- Understand why race is everything when it comes to healthcare and being a professional in general, that a level of culture and connection between doctor and patient is so important;
- Find out why Dr. Berry doesn’t hide the fact that he is black and that his message is more focused on speaking for the black people; and
- Learn the importance of having a black professional take the responsibility of speaking, protecting, and caring for our people while calling our colleagues out as well
“It means everything in the world to a patient to see someone who they feel will listen and understand them.” – Dr. Berry Pierre
“Someone needs to talk to the black community, and that's what I'm here to do… If I only had to choose one audience, I'm going to choose my black community audience, because I know that for the longest time, we have been disenfranchised and not given the information needed, and unfortunately, we've been paying the repercussions for it.” – Dr. Berry Pierre
We shall discuss; in this episode 239;
- Why race is still important in health care
- Why it was important to stress the importance of speaking to the Black Community
- Having to earn the trust of the Black Community
Sign up at www.listentodrberry.com to join the mailing list.
Remember to subscribe to the podcast and share the episode with a friend or family member.
Listen on Apple Podcast, Google Play, Stitcher, Soundcloud, iHeartRadio, Spotify
- Lunch and Learn Community Online Store (code Empower10)
- Pierre Medical Consulting (If you are looking to expand your social reach and make your process automated then Pierre Medical Consulting is for you)
- Dr. Pierre's Resources – These are some of the tools I use to become successful using social media
- My Amazon Store – Check out all of the book recommendations you heard in the episode
- Join the lunch and learn community – https://www.drberrypierre.com/joinlunchlearnpod
- Follow the podcast on Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/lunchlearnpod
- Follow the podcast on Twitter – http://www.twitter.com/lunchlearnpod – use the hashtag #LunchLearnPod if you have any questions, comments, or requests for the podcast
- For More Episodes of the Lunch and Learn with Dr. Berry Podcasts https://www.drberrypierre.com/lunchlearnpodcast/
If you are looking to help the show out
- Leave a Five Star Review on Apple Podcast because your ratings and reviews are what are going to make this show so much better
- Share a screenshot of the podcast episode on all of your favorite social media outlets & tag me or add the hashtag. #lunchlearnpod