Let's talk about weight loss myths…
How can we stop blaming patients for being obese and start that path towards creating spaces to provide them with better care and medications that they really need?
Obesity was just recognized as a medical disease back in 2013, and so often, conversations around obesity medications contain bias, even among us physicians. People tend to overestimate the power of lifestyle modifications, thinking that everything in weight loss revolves around our minds.
But if as clinicians, we understand that we have the most powerful tools to help our patients live a healthier life, we’ll then be empowered to make evidence-based decisions, instead of those coming from judgments and bias.
Join us today as Dr. Sylvia awakens us in this conversation about weight loss and the power of medications.
Dr. Sylvia Gonsahn-Bollie is a dual board-certified Internal Medicine and Obesity Medicine physician who empowers women to stop obsessing over the scale, feel great and get to your happy healthy weight with self-love & a personalized, scientific sustainable weight loss strategy through Embrace You Weight & Wellness, medical practice, and coaching program.
In this episode, Dr. Sylvia discusses weight loss myths especially associated with medications as she and Dr. Berry stress the importance of having these tough conversations around obesity, especially in the Black community.
Why you need to check out this episode:
- Learn why we need to address and understand the implicit bias there is in obesity and marry that with understanding the physiology in the science;
- Discover why it’s important that we help free people from the space of blaming themselves alone for not being able to lose weight; and
- Find out why it’s important that clinicians understand the power of medications to be greater advocates for the care each patient needs
“If we, as clinicians, could understand the power of these medications in addressing the underlying physiology, then we would be even greater advocates for our patients getting the care that they need.”
– Dr. Sylvia Gonsahn-Bollie
“Obesity itself is a medical condition and a disease that affects people, not that they’re choosing to have obesity per se.” – Dr. Sylvia Gonsahn-Bollie
Sign up at www.listentodrberry.com to join the mailing list.
Remember to subscribe to the podcast and share the episode with a friend or family member.
Listen on Apple Podcast, Google Play, Stitcher, Soundcloud, iHeartRadio, Spotify
- Lunch and Learn Community Online Store (code Empower10)
- Pierre Medical Consulting (If you are looking to expand your social reach and make your process automated then Pierre Medical Consulting is for you)
- Dr. Pierre's Resources – These are some of the tools I use to become successful using social media
- My Amazon Store – Check out all of the book recommendations you heard in the episode
- Dr. Sylvia's Website
- Dr. Sylvia's LinkedIn
- Dr. Sylvia's Twitter
- Dr. Sylvia's Instagram
- Dr. Sylvia's Facebook
- Join the lunch and learn community – https://www.drberrypierre.com/joinlunchlearnpod
- Follow the podcast on Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/lunchlearnpod
- Follow the podcast on Twitter – http://www.twitter.com/lunchlearnpod – use the hashtag #LunchLearnPod if you have any questions, comments, or requests for the podcast
- For More Episodes of the Lunch and Learn with Dr. Berry Podcasts https://www.drberrypierre.com/lunchlearnpodcast/
If you are looking to help the show out
- Leave a Five Star Review on Apple Podcast because your ratings and reviews are what are going to make this show so much better
- Share a screenshot of the podcast episode on all of your favorite social media outlets & tag me or add the hashtag. #lunchlearnpod