On this week's episode of the Lunch and Learn with Dr. Berry I talk about the important role of a hospital physician better known as the hospitalist. When I made the transition from primarily an outpatient physician to an inpatient one I had to spend a lot of time explaining to my people exactly what my new job title was.
I know you are aware that when you go to the hospital that someone is assigned to take care of you but there is this assumption that those doctors spend a portion of their day in the hospital and a portion outside of it. It has not been a long time since we started having physicians who dedicated themselves to a life of working in the hospital.
1. Why is a hospitalist important ?
As a hospitalist you are the primary support line for patients who suffer from illnesses that are too acute to handle in the clinic setting. Disease processes like strokes, heart attacks, injuries are very common issues taken care of by hospitalist physicians.
2. Can a physician do outpatient and be a hospitalist?
Short Answer Technically Yes..
Long Answer – When I first started out after residency I did just that. I would see my patients in the office & before clinic, on my lunch break or after work I would see patients in the hospital but overtime as my outpatient practice got busy it wasn't feasible enough for me to do both which happens to most physicians these days.
Questions I hope to answer for you…
What is a hospitalist?
How long as the term hospitalist been around?
Why are hospitalist so important to patient care?
- Lunch and Learn Community Online Store (code Empower10)
- Pierre Medical Consulting (If you are looking to expand your social reach and make your process automated then Pierre Medical Consulting is for you)
- Join the lunch and learn community – https://www.drpierresblog.com/joinlunchlearnpod
- Follow the podcast on Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/lunchlearnpod
- Follow the podcast on twitter – http://www.twitter.com/lunchlearnpod – use the hashtag #LunchLearnPod if you have any questions, comments or requests for the podcast
- For More Episodes of the Lunch and Learn with Dr. Berry Podcasts https://www.drpierresblog.com/lunchlearnpodcast/
If you are looking to help the show out
- Leave a Five Star Review on Apple Podcast because your ratings and reviews are what is going to make this show so much better
- Share a screenshot of the podcast episode on all of your favorite social media outlets & tag me or add the hashtag.#lunchlearnpod